Chicken and White Bean Stuffed Peppers
Ah, my undying love for Gina and her delicious recipes. Can’t wait to make this!
Servings: 5 • Serving Size: 2 halves • Points: 6 pts
Calories: 303.7 • Fat: 5.9 g • Protein: 29.9 g • Fiber: 6.5 g
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 half red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup parsley (or cilantro)
- 5 bell peppers (red or green)
- 14 oz shredded cooked chicken breast
- 15.5 oz can white beans
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar
In a medium pan, heat oil on medium heat. Add chopped onions, garlic, parsley and red pepper. Saute until soft, about a minute. Add chicken and season with cumin and salt. Add beans and 1 to 1-1/2 cups of water and simmer for about 5-10 minutes, until it thickens and the liquid reduces. Adjust spices to taste.
Preheat oven to 350°. Cut peppers in half removing seeds and stem. Place peppers in an oven-proof dish. Fill each pepper with 1/3 cup of chicken and bean mixture. Pour about 1/3 cup water or chicken broth on the bottom of the dish. Cover tight with foil. Bake 30 minutes at 350°. Remove foil, top with cheese and bake uncovered another 5 minutes.
Shrimp Quesadillas with Tomato Avocado Salsa
I’ve been following Gina’s low-fat, low-cal cooking blog for a little over two years now, and let me tell you guys, she’s good, real good. She posted this easy and delicious-looking quesadilla recipe today, so I thought I’d pass it along.
- 1 medium tomato, diced
- 1 hass avocado, diced
- 1 lime, juice of
- 1 tbsp cilantro, chopped
- 1 tbsp red onion, finely minced
- 16 large shrimp, cleaned and deviened
- garlic powder
- salt and fresh pepper
- cooking spray
- 4 scallions, chopped
- 6 oz Cabot’s 75% Light Vermont Cheddar, shredded
- 8 (6”) low carb whole wheat flour tortillas (try La Tortilla Factory)
- In a medium bowl, combine tomatoes, avocado, red onion, lime juice, cilantro, salt and pepper.
- Season shrimp with salt, pepper, cumin, and garlic powder. Lightly spray a hot skillet on medium heat with cooking spray, add shrimp and scallions. Cook 2-3 minutes on each side until shrimp is cooked though. Remove from heat and cut shrimp in half lengthwise, set aside.
- Heat skillet on medium heat and lightly spray with oil. Add tortilla, top with 1.5 oz cheese, 8 shrimp halves, and tomato avocado salsa. When the cheese is melted and the bottom of the tortilla is golden brown, place the other tortilla on top. Put a plate on top of the quesadilla to flip it over onto the plate. Then slide the other side onto the skillet. Cook another minute and remove with a spatula.
- Cut into wedges and serve immediately.